Search This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Summer Sunday

As we were leaving Choir Practice Wednesday a week ago, the boys discovered wild blackberries growing in amongst the shrubbery that borders our Christian Ed building. We took the time to pick a few. They were very tart (typical for wild berries) but flavorful. Since our Choir Concert was last Wednesday, we hadn't yet checked in on them again.

Our Church Picnic was today. I don't know exactly why I thought about the berries, but when the picnic was over at a nearby park, I loaded up the boys (Deanna wanted to go home with her Daddy - we had to drive separately because Deanna sang this morning for church and had to be there by 9:15. I didn't need to be there until 10:00), borrowed some gallon-size Ziploc bags, and headed back to the church for berry picking.

We had a wonderful time and found tons of wild blackberries just waiting to be picked. We half-filled both of the gallon bags, then headed home. I cleaned them and cooked them down, then made a batch of blackberry syrup and three jars of blackberry jelly.

This evening, as they munched on dinner, we reminisced about the day. We got to sleep in. Then, before dressing for church, I harvested my basil (for the second time), some dill, and parsley and began cleaning it. Deanna sang beautifully at church and the sermon was particularly short. Then, off to the picnic, which was a blast. We followed that up with berry-picking and jelly-making. What an amazing day.

It already feels like summer. Only 2 more weeks of school to go.

I'm counting down.

No comments: