Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2009

That Lump in my Hand

Okay, one more, since I'm a few Posts behind this week. But a short one, for Grandma Doughty, who doesn't like reading my long posts.

The hand that got slammed in my mother's car door last Tuesday . . . I was at the ENT's office yesterday (he gave me a steroid shot in my arm and it ached all day) and showed him my hand. I have a long lump near the outside of my hand where there shouldn't be any. He thinks I've got a broken bone in my hand and recommended that I see an Orthopod immediately. He said that you can chip small bones in your hand very easily and not have any decreased mobility. However, the bones often migrate and can lodge in a nerve or muscle, significantly debilitating my hand.

I called my Orthopedic doctor yesterday and have a 2 p.m. appointment today. I'm hoping it's just a hematoma and not serious. Don, however, is talking about the possibility of them taking me immediately into surgery to remove bone chips.

I think he's thinking a little too far to the extreme, although this is a remote possibility, I admit.

Anyway, I should know something by this evening. Maybe a cast, maybe a splint, or maybe nothing. I'm hoping for the nothing.

No comments: