Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Substitute Teacher

I substituted in my son, Dane's, First Grade class today. The teacher has gone out of town for Thanksgiving. I've never done a full day before - last year I sub'd for about 2 hours for Deanna's teacher. It was mostly fluff last year. This year was REAL teaching.

I was very nervous going into it, although I've tutored since I was a teenager, taught college for a year, and am always teaching my own children. I was teaching someone else's class, using her notes and techniques, and following her curriculum. I was unfamiliar with the classroom and the way she goes about her day.

Yesterday afternoon, I swung by the school and picked up the file folder with today's notes and work in it. I reviewed it last night and was completely convinced that I had no idea what I was doing.

All that said, the day went amazingly well, other than the fact that I had to lead the children in a roaring game of Simon Says to invigorate them enough that they could do their Math, and I forgot about their last recess, which was the one for which I was the Duty Teacher.

We somehow managed to accomplish everything we needed to do. The children were obedient and helpful (with a few minor exceptions) and fun to work with. By mid-morning, I had found my stride and was writing on the blackboard like an old pro. It just overtook me. One minute, I was Patti Doughty, stay-at-home Mom, the next I was Mrs. Doughty, First Grade Teacher.

Dane was quite proud (although, I also had to speak to him several times). But what a good day!! I was thankful to be able to do it.

4 comments:

Jan said...

That was the Grade I used to teach. Grade One. What a blast. I loved the reward of seeing the children progress from being Kindergarten babies, to confident little individuals. The joy of teaching them to read cannot be beaten.
Way to go, Mrs.Doughty! I'm sure the kids loved you. And maybe since you did such a good job they'll be calling you again?
(I'm typing this as I take a quick coffee break from bed linens and washing walls. I'm getting there but not nearly fast enough!)

Patti Doughty said...

Jan, we'll be praying for you as we stuff ourselves on turkey. I know the Lord's grace will be sufficient to get you moved out in time.

I'm sure glad moving day is finally here.

On another note, please pray for my brother-in-law. He, apparently, overdid it this weekend and is struggling. He had surgery last week to implant radiated rocks, but doesn't understand the meaning of "slow down". He needs an extra measure of grace to not push himself beyond his body's endurance capacity.

Take a deep breath and don't forget a cup of hot tea occasionally. The unpacking will eventually all get done - and you'll have lots more space to unpack in!!! Isn't it great?

Patti

Rachel said...

Elliott had a great time with you yesterday, Aunt Patti. I asked how it went and he said "we all gave her a hug at the end of the day." I guess that means Two Thumbs Up.

Patti Doughty said...

Rach, what sweet Elliott neglected to tell you was that I forced everyone to hug me on their way out the door because I had such a good time. The boys were all a little reluctant (except for Dane, of course) at first, but eventually hugged me, all with heads tucked down and not daring to make eye contact. I'm sure they were scared to death I'd try to kiss them, too.

Patti