Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Pecans - Not for Sale

Yesterday, the wind was blowing as the temperatures began to drop. We even had a little rain. All this added up to pecans falling wildly from the trees.

We live in a pecan orchard. Our neighborhood was built around the trees. I'm sure some were cut down to make way for the homes, but pecan trees are in most front and back yards. We have a neighborhood agreement that anyone who lives in the neighborhood can pick the pecans under any of the trees at any time. We all know each other quite well, and those of us who regularly pick pecans know who does and who doesn't, and we generally leave the trees alone of the folks who usually pick their own.

For several years now, my children have picked pecans every year and sold them for Christmas money. I made an agreement with them that I would match every dollar they made picking and selling their own pecans. That is, until two years ago.

Deanna made so much money that I found myself, on several occasions when I ran low on cash, borrowing from my 8 year old daughter. My shame was endless. But I decided that, if she had more money than me, it was unnecessary for me to match her earnings.

That same year, we went to Don's parent's house in West Virginia for Thanksgiving. In our city, there are lots of pecan orchards and nuts are cheap. West Virginia is a different story, however. So the kids picked right up until time to leave and we took their nuts with us. We sorted, weighed and bagged them on my mother-in-law's sunporch, and went door-to-door in their neighborhood selling pecans for $1.50/lb. My in-law's found this a little shocking, but Don thought it was just fine and he and I both went with the children on different trips.

We sold all we had except about 15 pounds that we had set aside for Grandma and Grandpa and some of their friends. Over the week, we received several knocks on the door from neighbors wanting more. Apparently, they had shelled and eaten the ones they bought and were so impressed with the sweetness and freshness of the nuts, they wanted more. We sold all the ones we had set aside and laughed about the fact that we could have charged $2.00/lb. and still sold out.

The kids made a good bit of Christmas money and got a great lesson in sales and commerce. So, when the pecans begin dropping wildly, I get a little crazy, too. Dollar signs appear before my eyes and it's hard to concentrate on anything except wanting to pick pecans.

Unfortunately, I'm starting some Christmas baking (pralines, which last a very long time), and I pulled my last bag of shelled pecans out of the freezer this week. I'm completely OUT. Four years ago, before I was even pregnant with Daelyn, we shelled about 50 pounds and have been using them ever since. It's time to replenish my supply.

I pick this year with the knowledge that none of these will make me any money. But at least I'll save the $6.00/lb. that I would have to pay if I bought them instead of picking and shelling myself.

Maybe next year I'll have a chance to sell some nuts and make a little mad money. This year, I shell and freeze.

2 comments:

Mom said...

We looked to buy this house that was situated in the middle of a pecan orchard in Georgia. It was a huge beatiful old historic home being used as a bed and breakfast at the time. My husband would talk about going into the orchard to pick pecans with the kids if we bought that house.
It all sounded very old fashioned and warm and fuzzy; very sweet.
We did not buy the house, it was too far from civilization for me and I think it was haunted, but we will always remember that it is there and our dreams of it. But I'll miss out on the money from selling them. Oh well, sigh.

When I was growing up, we had a couple pecan trees in the yard. MMM..Pecan pie!

Anonymous said...

This would be my mothers dream. She will put peacans and/or walnuts in EVERYTHING. Each year for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays she will make a batch of fudge, chocolate and peanut butter, she will put peacans in some and leave them out of the rest because not everyone wants peacans in EVERYTHING.