Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Old Men and Bright Lights

My routine has changed dramatically recently. Upon rising, I throw on a pair of shoes and take off for the kitchen, grab the leash and tell Donovan good morning while attaching his leash to his collar. Then it's outside so he can relieve himself in an appropriate location instead of on me or all over the tile floor in the kitchen.

This morning, he was busy giving kisses and it took a few minutes to get his leash attached and out the door. It was lightly sprinkling, so I encouraged him along. He did his business and then was busily smelling the ground when the sound outside changed and the rain began. We made a run for the house, only getting a LITTLE wet, but Donovan likes to go several times first thing in the morning, and we usually have several trips out back to back.

Not today. The rain held me off as I followed him around the kitchen, trying to make breakfast and lunches while assuring puppy didn't leave any puddles. I was fretting about the rain when Dane and Deanna started singing, "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring ..."

Daelyn, in typical style, waited for his brother and sister to finish, then began his version.

"It's raining, it's pouring, an old man went to sleep and couldn't get up."

It reminded me of my birthday card from my niece and nephew. My birthday's Thursday (yes, St. Patrick's Day), but our family celebrated several birthdays together on Sunday afternoon. Amanda and Russell's card said something like, "Yes, you're old, but look on the bright side ..."
Then you turned to the inside and it said, "Oh, yeah, there is no bright side. There's a bright LIGHT, but you best not go towards it. Happy Birthday, anyway!"

Today, we'll be avoiding the bright light and the old man who can't wake up. Hopefully, the rain will stop so Donovan will be more inclined to tinkle when I brave the weather instead of returning to the kitchen, dripping wet, only to choose a nice spot inside for his business.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Thursday is the 16th Patti. St. Pat is Friday.
Has Old Age led you to forget how to read a calendar??
Joking...

Patti Doughty said...

Boy, oh, boy, I had no idea just how old I'm getting!! I don't know why I keep thinking Thursday is my birthday.

The kids are off school on Friday so Thursday is the day they'll be doing all their typical Friday work, like spelling tests, etc. Perhaps that's the reason I'm confused. (Lame, I know, but at least I'm trying!!)