Search This Blog

Monday, March 20, 2006

While Sissy and I were horseback riding ...

... Don took the boys bicycle riding to a place near us called the Greenway, that has a wonderfully flat, paved area specifically for biking or jogging. He did it with Deanna and Daelyn a couple of weeks ago and they went 6.6 miles.

The boys had a great time. At dinner Saturday night, Don was telling us where they went and all the "events" that occurred. He said Daelyn greeted every single person he saw. He was a little upset because one person didn't respond. Don thought it was pretty amazing that everyone except one had spoken in response. Truly a sign of Life in the South.

"We just had one problem," Don told us.

"What do you mean," I asked. "What problem?"

"We need to teach Daelyn some type of greeting other than 'Hey, Buddy!'"

Coming home from Church yesterday, I decided to demonstrate to Don just how much I've accomplished in preparation for Kindergarten in a year and a half, "Hey, Buddy" not withstanding.

"Daelyn, how many vowels are there?" I asked innocently.

"Five," he blurted out. I glanced at Don. His eyebrow went up as he glanced back at me. I grinned smugly.

"Remember 'A', son?" I asked. "What does it say?"

Daelyn, after some thought, yelled out, "Ay and ah".

"Good, son. What a good boy. Now, what does 'E' say?"

"Ee and eh," Daelyn responded promptly.

My smug grin widened into an out-and-out smile. Admittedly, I was quite pleased with myself.

Don's eyes began to twinkle, then narrowed and he said, "Son, count from 10 to 20 for Daddy."

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 20 ... 21, 22, 23, 27 ..." Daelyn responded.

HA! Don thought he was going to wipe that smug smile off my face. When last he checked in on Daelyn's counting, he was still struggling with figuring out just where 17 went. We worked through that months ago.

"Okay," I conceded, "he's moved on to a problem with 27. But he knows about 17 now."

Don smiled openly. "You've done good, Mommy. Keep it up."

Smugness and a pat on the back from Daddy - what a day!!

No comments: