Search This Blog

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Responsibility

In trying to sell Don on getting a dog, I told him that I thought it was a great way to teach children responsibility. Chores have a little more bite to them when they look at you with mournful eyes and their head cocked to the side.

We had many family conversations about getting a puppy. All the kids volunteered to give up their allowance for the next year if Daddy would get them one. Don explained that puppies make messes, both inside and out. He asked Deanna if she would be willing to clean up inside messes and Dane if he'd keep the yard clean and mine-free. They agreed. Nothing more was said about it.

Last week, after having the dog for 2 1/2 weeks, I was outside with him after school one day when he ran next to the shed. Dane got upset and told me that there were spiders in that area and I shouldn't let Donovan go back there. I explained that he was going potty and thought that was a good place. Next thing I knew, Dane appeared next to me with a shovel.

"What are you doing, son?" I asked.

"It's my job to clean up the yard. I have to get the poopies and get rid of them," he explained.

I was amazed. I never said a word to him. But he remembered his promise to his Daddy and was taking it very seriously. He then proceeded to run around the yard looking for piles that needed cleaning up and de-mining the yard.

I was very proud. Maybe this puppy-thing is going to accomplish something, after all. Dane - doing chores without being asked or even prompted - simply out of love for his pet.

A very good thing, indeed.

No comments: