Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

They're for Wearing

Dane got glasses yesterday. We got him a wire frame in blue that pulls out the color of his eyes. They actually look pretty good on him, although he looks very studeous and way too old.

I got a phone call about 2 weeks ago from his teacher. She said that, for the second day in a row, Dane had quietly gotten up from his desk, while all the other children were busily working, walked to the board, read the assignment several times under his breath, then sat back down and quickly wrote the assignment on his paper. It was pretty obvious he needed glasses. Then she added, "I'll move him up to the front row but, Patti, he's only in the second row now."

I hung up and started getting emotional. My sweet little boy had been complaining of bad headaches for several weeks and we just thought it was allergy-related. It broke my heart to think about him having to wear glasses for the rest of his life - he's so young and small and frail. And it was upsetting to think that he had been having problems with his eyes and the teacher had to tell me. I wasn't observant enough to pick it up on my own. My little boy had been suffering and I was oblivious.

I called Don crying. As compassionate as he is, he just doesn't get this emotion stuff. He's, like, "So he needs glasses. Did you expect any different? We both wear glasses. You should have know at least one of our children would have a genetic eye weakness."

Yeah, but that doesn't change the emotions. So I called our Pediatrician to see if he wanted to see Dane or if I should just take him to our Optometrist. The whole process of getting an appointment took about 5 days and then, the earliest he could be seen for a scheduled appointment was next Monday at 9:30. The receptionist, however, said that I could try a walk-in yesterday morning and, if I cot there at 8:30, we'd have a good chance of getting in and out early.

We managed to get him seen, fitted, the glasses made and on his face and still got him to school before lunchtime. When the technician put his adjusted, cleaned lenses on his face and told him that they were all done and he could go, Dane thanked him, took them off, and put them in the case. He didn't quite understand that glasses are for wearing. We had to explain to him that he needs to wear them ALL the time, except for bathtime and bedtime. Then, later, he took them off and laid them on the counter, glass side down. I explained to him how important it is to NEVER put the glass part down on any surface.

I didn't realize wearing glasses required so much explanation. I expected that he'd lose them several times and I anticipated scratches and breaks (that's why I bought the free replacement insurance) but it never occurred to me I'd have to tell him to WEAR them.

He was the buzz of school when I got him there yesterday. Everyone was fascinated with his glasses. I stood and watched him proudly show them off to all his friends while the girls oohed and ahhed around him. At least there's no stigma to wearing glasses at this age. I didn't hear a single "4-eyes" remark. He also had his eyes dilated, so he had to wear these slip-in insert sunglasses for the remainder of the day. One of Deanna's friends had dinner with us last night and was commenting how "cool Dane looked in his shades" at school.

When Don came home from work last night, he asked how bad Dane's eyes are. I repeated that the doctor had said he needed a "little" help. But the technician, after grinding his lenses, commented that it was a pretty hefty prescription, especially for a first-time glasses wearer.

No wonder my baby was having headaches. I'm glad to know it wasn't because of me. And I'm even happier to know the girls think the glasses make him hunkier. My Mr. Cool - with glasses.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Aww. I've had glasses since I was 12. Contacts at 16. It's no biggie. I think glasses make people look smarter and more attractive. When he's older, the girls will find him hunky too.