Search This Blog

Friday, March 03, 2006

Fashion Faux-pas

I had to take Dane to the doctor Wednesday afternoon after school. He's been complaining of stomachaches for 2 1/2 weeks now. We were running a little behind after getting the children from school and, when we needed to go, Daelyn had no shoes or socks on.

I called to him, "Son, we've got to go NOW. Put on a pair of sandals, if you need to, but we've got to go."

I didn't get a good look at him until we were sitting in the doctor's office. He was wearing a shorts outfit in olive drab - not a bad choice. The outfit was attractive and both pieces matched. However, he had chosen turquoise socks, pulled up to his knees, and was sporting his cowboy boots, which are on their last leg. The sewing at the tips has come undone, strings are hanging, and the uppers are no longer attached to the soles for about 3 inches across the front, flapping in the breeze like a couple of clams in the surf.

Note to Self: Make sure to lay out clothes, including SHOES and SOCKS for Daelyn in the future - at least, if we plan on going anywhere outside of our yard.

3 comments:

Colette said...

You never know about that guy! At least he is young enough that everyone who saw him assumed he dressed himself and got by without a "once over". If it had been one of the other kids....well, let's just say you would have been the topic of conversation around the medicine cabinet (HAHAHA). Need MeeMee to give him some pointers on style (couldn't help myself!)
Trin-Trin

Anonymous said...

I love to see kids that appear to have "dressed themselves." - especially when the shoes are on the wrong feet.

About the cowboy boots; my Granny said that I had a pair when I was a little boy and I would never take them off. I wore the soles out of them.

Patti Doughty said...

Bomba, Daelyn has asked for another pair for his birthday, which is April 1, so we seem doomed to a boot-wearing son. However, the advantage to cowboy boots, which I have come to love, is that he can put the on and take them off all by himself. Huge advantage. Huge.

Patti