Search This Blog

Friday, August 17, 2007

The Beach Beckons

No rain for weeks and weeks. Then, as soon as Don and I go outside to load the van for our beachtrip - monsoon!

Actually, it rained yesterday afternoon, too. I'm thankful for the rain. We certainly need it.

It made me realize that we might ought to pack a few extra things for the beach. What if it rains for hours while we're there. I asked Deanna earlier to pack a few fun things to do.

"Mom," she said, "all I plan on doing is boogey-boarding."

That's all fine and wonderful, but we can't spend 12 hours/day on the beach without looking like an over-cooked McDonald's french fry. We have to have some other things to do. And what if it DOES rain? Then, of course, there's the issue of the jellyfish. A friend of mine who lives on Tybee Island told me that the jellyfish only seem to be bad during one tide. He couldn't remember if it was high tide or low tide, but that eliminates half of the day if we're avoiding one tide.

We got the bikes loaded and the children's suitcases, boogey-boards and two beach chairs. The van is full. We still have all the food, the beach umbrella, the beach bag, my clothes, the playing cards, the beach towels, the . . . And no space left.

The packing is always the worst part of this process. But, by this time tomorrow, I'll be smelling salt air and hearing the surf. It's definately worth it all.

I'll be signing off for the next week while I enjoy our final vacation before school starts in September. And maybe, just maybe, I'll get some much-needed rest before the ratrace starts all over again.

No comments: