Search This Blog

Friday, August 03, 2007

Oh, so much soap!

I've decided to find some local crafts shows and start selling my soap products - soap-infused loofahs, bath salts, bath bombs and fizzies, and soap, soap, soap.

I chose 7 scents to begin my inventory and needed to make some of each product in each scent. But to do that, I needed more soap base. I placed an order on-line for 24 pounds of creamy white and 24 pounds of clear glycerin. The shipping costs were a whopping $30.00, plus the $1.40/lb. I paid for the soap.

Last week I noticed Donovan chewing on something in the den. He had white on his beard. The kids and I searched the house, trying the find the culprit. Finally, we checked the living room where a suitcase was laying open from our trip to Colorado. (All this soap-making, I haven't had time to unpack that suitcase yet.) Donovan had eaten a bar of white soap - paper and all - from the resort in Colorado. It smelled good, so he decided to eat it.

He was a sick puppy for a few days. He's completely ruled by his nose. If something smells good, he has to taste it. I was hoping his stomach problems and two days of vomiting would cure at least his interest in soap.

We came home yesterday after picking my car up from the shop and I found teeth marks in my 24-lb. block of creamy white soap. It doesn't even have any scent - it's just the soap base.

I guess he hasn't learned his lesson. Apparently, he liked it so much that he's now eating unscented soap.

I told Deanna. She was aghast.

"The problem is this, honey. At $30 a pop for shipping, I can't afford to 'feed' Donovan's soap habit."

I got the elicited response. Deanna giggled.

No comments: