Search This Blog

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Play It Again, Sam

Deanna has a sore throat which has worsened over the last couple of days, so I took her to the doctor today. We were sitting in the Waiting Room talking about how loud her Daddy can be, especially for a very quiet man. We talked about how he pounds through the house when he walks, shaking the whole house, and how loud he talks when it's quiet. Normally, we can barely hear him.

Then we began talking about what type of volume is appropriate in different places. She said,
"Everyone always talks in a whisper in places like this."

"That's because this is a place of business," I explained. You need to be businesslike in here - and that means quiet. You should use a soft voice at all places of business. Not like the grocery store, where you go to socialize."

I glanced at Deanna. She had that "you're crazy" look on her face. I quickly re-thought what I had just said.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, absolutely clueless what the look was about.

"Mama, most people don't consider going to the grocery store to be a social function," she jibed.

Then they don't shop where I shop, I thought.

No comments: