Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Word Games

Deanna is trying to finish up her school work so she can turn it all in before we leave for the beach on Saturday. I did two pages of Math Speed Drills with her, then we sat down to eat lunch yesterday.

"Okay, Daelyn, it's your turn," I said. "Let's practice saying words."

We've been working on Daelyn's speech patterns in preparation for the start of school. I've been teaching him to say t-rain for train instead of shrain, which is how he says every blend. He always reverts back to an "sh" sound if he can't pronounce the sound correctly.

"Say 't-rain' for me," I prompted.

"T-rain," he said, perfectly. One of Deanna's eyebrows went up.

"Say 'barbecue'."

"Barbecue."

"Say 'b-read'."

"B-read."

Perfect everytime. No difficulty with blends, just perfectly clear words.

Deanna snickered and began giving him impossible words to pronounce that she can't even say correctly. Daelyn smiled. He knew he had done well. Then he began rattling off all her hard words after her.

Dane, meanwhile, was sitting quietly at his place at the table listening.

"Mom," he said with a worried tone.

"Yes, son?" I responded.

"I'm not sure I can say those words."

Don't worry, son. At least you can spell them and Deanna can't.

Each of us have our gifts. Deanna is definitely her wit. But Dane runs circles around her in spelling. We're not yet sure what gifts Daelyn possesses, but cuteness has got to be one of them.

No comments: