Search This Blog

Friday, January 04, 2008

Keeping It in Perspective

Daelyn has become fanatical about Nicki. Dane and Deanna both had basketball games the Saturday before Christmas in the morning. Don had another commitment, so I took them. Daelyn began whining shortly after we arrived, asking to go home. Finally, when Don joined us, he asked again.

"Mama, I want to go home. I want to see Nicki before she leaves for work!"

I looked at my watch. Nicki was working from 11 am to 11 pm. She usually leaves for work about 25 minutes before her shift. It was already 10:40. It was pretty doubtful we'd catch her, but I loaded him up and we took off for home.

I broke the news to him in the van. He was very disappointed and fussed a little. He's repeated this same scenario about 4 times now, even refusing to go to bed at night until Nicki comes home (fat chance, Bud - you're not staying up until midnight).

On Wednesday, Daelyn began fussing again. We had been out and, when we returned, Nicki was gone.

"I HAVE to see Nicki," he yelled. I scrunched up my face and looked at him.

"Son, have you fallen in love with Nicki?" I asked, fully expecting an affirmative response. He's only five and love for him comes and goes on a whim.

"Not today, Mama. Maybe I'll fall in love with her tomorrow. For today, I just miss her 'cause I like her."

No comments: