Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Roof Pecans Taste Better

On the way home from Deanna's Little Sister's meeting this afternoon, we stopped at Grandma and Grandpa's house to pick up Daelyn. As we pulled into the driveway, I noticed Grandpa on the roof. Don's extension ladder was leaning against the front of the house. Grandma was standing at the bottom of the ladder and I realized my father was PICKING PECANS OFF THE TOP OF THE HOUSE.

Now, some people may think I'm a little fanatical about pecan picking . . . but I have yet to climb up on top of anyone's house to pick the pecans that have fallen there. I rolled down the window and hollered some pithy remark to my father, then yelled to Daelyn, who was climbing a tree in the front yard, to hop into the van since we needed to hurry home and eat so I could get them to church on time for choir.

Daelyn hopped in, then I remembered that I still needed to pick up Dane. He was a few houses up from where Deanna's meeting had been held and I should have swung by there on the way home. We took off back up the road, got my other son, then headed home again. As we approached my parents' once more, I could see the arm of a dark jacket on the roof. I was sure it wasn't my father's arm, since he had on a red flannel shirt. As we got closer, I could see that the man on the roof had dark hair and a mustache. This was certainly NOT my father. Then the humor of the situation struck me. Not only was Papa picking pecans on his roof, he had invited a guest to join him.

I giggled. Deanna heard me and asked what was so funny.

"Grandpa's holding a prayer meeting on the roof," I explained. Deanna looked out the front window and scanned the roofline.

"Who IS that?" she asked.

"I think it's Uncle Bill," I commented, in reference to the father of the family that lives next door to my parents'.

"Yep," Daelyn said. "It IS Uncle Bill."

"Grandpa must be having a prayer meeting," Deanna snickered. "He's actually invited people to climb on the roof with him!"

I don't know how many pecans he found on the roof, but I'm sure he must have had some great fellowship.

No comments: