Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2008

More of the Same

Yet another fight scene in "Lord of the Ring". In this one, Aragon is dragged off a cliff by one of those evil lion-horse creatures ridden by Orcs. Everyone assumes he's dead. Of course, we know better. His horse saves him.

At least, for now, Dane's not snarling at me like those lion-horse things, like he's been for the last two days. He was pretty-well behaved on Monday, the day of surgery. He was hurting and exhausted and alternated between crying and sleeping. But the next day, the truth of his predicament began to settle in.

"Mama, surgery is NOT fun. It hurts," he pronounced on Tuesday.

"Yes, dear. That's why it's only a LAST option. We try everything else first."

As the pain sets in and the boredom overtakes him, he gets snarlier and snarlier. Yesterday he grumped at me, "I'm THIRSTY!" No, "Mama, could you please get me a drink," no "Mama, I really need a refill of your wonderful tea that you're letting me drink." Nope. Just "I'm THIRSTY!" yelled at me. Then, when I didn't move as quickly as he thought I should (I was in the middle of something), he snarled again, "WHEN are you going to get me my drink?"

"Dear, I know you're hurting and this is hard for you, but I am not your slave or your servant. I am your mother and I expect you to treat me with respect."

He does try. He's a good boy. He's just struggling.

So I try and find things for him to do, quiet things that don't require bending his head forward or moving, but things that will keep him occupied. Yesterday, he asked if I could call the mother of one of his friends and make arrangements for one of his friends to come over and visit after school today. I know he's lonesome and wants company from someone other than me, but I'm afraid his friends won't understand the importance of him being still. Besides, what 9-yr. old boy wants to sit around and talk? And Dane can't do much else.

So I banish him from friends and most of all the other things he wants to do. I've pulled out several crafts projects for him and his daddy bought him a puzzle book. He has a laptop on which he can play games and I'm letting him watch unlimited movies. But sitting still for days just isn't in his nature and it's wearing on both of us.

Today is the 3rd day post-surgery. Maybe by tomorrow he'll feel well enough to do a little more. They said he'd be much better in a week's time. That means we're almost half-way there.

And his daddy will be home tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. New blood and new ideas. YAY!

No comments: