Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What's In a Name?

When I was making the children's lunches Monday night, I thought about breaking out some of the Christmas cookies I've made. I decided to give them each 2 pieces of Scotch Shortbread, one of my specialties.

I dug small containers with tight-fitting lids out of the cabinet and carefully placed two pieces of Shortbread in each. Then I placed them carefully in the lunch boxes.

On the way home from school yesterday, Daelyn was telling me all about his day, who he had played with at recesses and what he had done.

"Oh, and, by the way, Mom, thank you for the German Biscuits."

German Biscuits? What's he talking about? I thought for a few seconds. What DID I put in his lunchbox? Last night seemed a very long time ago. Then I remembered the Shortbread.

"Do you mean Scotch Shortbread, son?" I asked him.

"Yeah. That. Whatever."

Name of country and bread name. I guess they all sound alike. Scotch Shortbread could have just as easily been German Biscuit.

No comments: