Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

T-Day!

My parents are in California. One of my nieces, the first of my nieces, in fact, got married Saturday. I've had 4 nephews marry but this is the first niece. So, they left last week and are taking advantage of the opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with my sister and her family. They don't get to do that but every 20 years or so, if that.

I prompted a couple of weeks ago about our plans.

"What are we going to do for Thanksgiving? Should we invite friends over?"

After much thought and my attempts 3 or 4 times at discussing, Don finally responded.

"No," he said, "I think we need to just have Thanksgiving at home by ourselves this year."

I was shocked. No friends? No family? Just us?

"You and the kids can watch the Macy's parade and eat bon-bons and relax and there'll be no place we HAVE to get to, we'll eat when you're ready."

As I thought about that, I realized that it would be much like our Christmas in England, which was wonderful. I quickly agreed.

Turns out, one of my sisters and her daughter had no place to go and there's no way she'd be making Thanksgiving just for 2 (her husband is working), so they're coming here, also, which will be very fun for my children but still won't add any pressure, I don't think. Anyway, Dane helped me plan the menu last week - it was scary. If I get it all done, we'll have enough food for an army and way more than we can fit in our fridge. I'll likely have to take some up to my parents to store in their fridge.

I started last night with cranberry sauce. My mother does this chunky orange cranberry sauce. I found a recipe and made it last night. It's wonderful, although Deanna thinks it's a little TOO tart and needs a little more sugar. Then I began working on homemade jellied cranberry sauce.

Based on the response I got from Deanna and Dane this morning on the jellied, I've just given myself a new lifetime job - maker of the cranberry sauce.

It should be a fun Thanksgiving.

No comments: