Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Word Puzzles

Don got a puzzle book for Dane to help keep him occupied during his recovery. I tried to get him to work on some of them, but he wasn't interested. I found one that interested me. You had to make words, 11 in total, and there were already several letters listed for each word. You couldn't repeat any letters in the same word or use any letters in the word above or the word below. You got extra points for using ALL the letters in the alphabet in you 11 words.

I piddled with it a little, but couldn't seem to grab Dane's attention. However, Don worked with him on Friday, doing several of the puzzles together, and Dane got interested.

I had gone to run some errands and when I got home, I found Don and Dane at the kitchen table working on puzzles. I flipped to my page and Dane and I began working the word puzzle together. We did the first one, then I started working on dinner and he attacked the second. Deanna and Daelyn wandered in and sat at the table, eager to help.

"I need a word that begins with 'Am' and has five letters," Dane announced to the group gathered.

"Uh, what about ambitious?" I asked. Nope. Too many letters. Ambivalent? No. Amplitude? No. It went on and on. I racked my brain trying to come up with words that began with 'am'.

Finally, when I thought I couldn't think up one more work, Daelyn casually mentioned,

"Would 'amber' work, brother?"

Dane shrieked. "That's IT!" Deanna gasped. I laughed. It just figures.

Daelyn, the youngest one in the room, solved the word puzzle. How does he even KNOW the word 'amber'?

The simple answer? He's Daelyn.

No comments: