Search This Blog

Monday, January 26, 2009

Decisions

We went to a Christmas Party Saturday night. A guy who was once Don's boss throws this party every year. When it first began, December was just too busy for them to be able to book a date, so they opted for a late-January get-together, instead. It stuck and they do this every year.

The Host invites everyone who works for him or ever has. You might think there'd be hundreds of people in attendance, but it seems he only has about 30 show each year. We've attended a couple of times. He smokes a turkey and a ham and everyone brings desserts and side dishes. Covered-dish functions can often be slim pickins', but not at this one. We ate our fill and brought home almost as much as we took.

I know very few people at this party. Actually, Don doesn't even know a lot of them. We were sitting across the table from a very nice couple who were very friendly. After visiting for 1/2 hour or so, the woman asked me Don's name. I told her and she remarked that she should have put two and two together, that she knew the name but just didn't put the face with it.

Somewhere in the conversation, we talked about our short stint in England. She asked me and the children some questions, like if we liked it, what the weather was like, was it a difficult adjustment . . . Then she asked me if we would be going back sometime.

"Don's been back two or three other times," I told her, "but he no longer works for that company anymore, so there's no chance we'll be returning."

"What do you mean he doesn't work for that company any longer?" she asked. "Isn't he with WGI?"

WGI is Washington Group International, the company that had the contract on the Nuclear Plant/DOE facility where Don works and that sent us to England. Last year, they lost the Contract when it came up for bid and Don now works for a new contractor.

"No, not anymore," I explained.

"When the contractor came in, he didn't go with WGI?" she asked.

"No," I responded again. "He stayed at the Plant."

She asked me the same question about six different ways. I think I finally was able to make it clear to her that Don stayed with the facility which now has a new contractor, thus he has a new employer. She seemed very surprised.

"Almost ALL of us have left the Plant and went to work for WGI," she said. Now it was my turn to be very surprised.

Don spent the latter part of last year praying about his job situation - whether or not to stay with the new contractor or look for employment elsewhere. He decided to stay. The transition to new contractor has not been seamless or easy, but Don is a steady guy and he just keeps pushing through, day after day. I had no opinion and prayed very hard for him that the Lord would speak clearly and that he would have the courage to do what he thought God wanted for our family. When he told me he had decided to stay, I was relieved that the decision had been made.

Since he made his decision, I've been struck several times by the thought of how unpredictable employment is these days, especially in this Recession. We're thankful Don has a job, and a good job, at that. And he has years and years of seniority, which must count for something. Lots of people, including his boss and the previous boss who was hosting this party, left the facility during the transition to new contractor, not wanting to weather this type of change yet again. Don held fast, despite difficulties, and I have to believe God gave him the grace to be able to get through for a reason.

Still, to hear that so many other folks went with WGI and know that Don's decision means no more England takes me aback a little. I trust that my husband heard the Lord and I was worried about him leaving and going with WGI anyway, afraid it might mean he would be taking extended trips to England and we wouldn't be able to go most of the time. I didn't want to be separated from him and almost breathed a sigh of relief when he decided to stay where he's at.

As for now, I think I just better be thankful he has a good job that provides well for our needs and support him as much as I possibly can. And who knows what the future will hold for the Doughty family. Maybe the new contractor will ask him to go to France or Africa or Australia.

One thing I've learned over my 47 years - life's an adventure, especially if you walk with the Lord. It's never dull or boring, always busy, hectic, and with many challenges. And lots and lots of rewards.

Most of them far from monetary.

No comments: