Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

The Potluck Dilemna

Why is it that I can cook a meal for another family practically any day of the week with no stress or sweat. . . I just double up the recipe of whatever I'm making for us and - voila - instant meal to share (well, maybe not INSTANT)!

. . . but, trying to think through what to take to a Potluck completely paralyzes me. Meals for other families are easy. Like I said, I send over whatever we're eating. But POTLUCKS! You have to consider looks. It needs to look appetizing and attractive. You need to consider how difficult it is to serve. You need to consider how many people will be fed. You want to make sure that it's a one-dish meal if meat isn't being served separately or, if meat IS, then what vegetable isn't too overdone at these things and still has wide appeal. When I take someone a meal, I can do rice or pasta with something to go over it. But you can't do that at a Potluck. The pasta or rice always gets separated on the table from the topping and people can never figure out what to do with it if they can even figure out what it is.

Sometimes, we'll go to a Potluck where they designate "finger foods only" because they don't intend to have plasticware! Oh, my gosh! Fingerfoods? That limits me even further.

In any case, guess what's on the schedule for this weekend? Not one, but two, potlucks. I'm going to be a basket case by Monday. Anybody out there want to trade a homecooked meal for your family for potluck foods?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few things I bring:

1.Chicken nuggets - butter, cut up boneless, skinless chicken, and bread crumbs. Bake on 425 for 15 minutes. Kids inhale these.

2. Green jacket salad

3. Macaroni and cheese

4. Chicken with red beans and rice

5. Potato soup

6. Chili - Chili takes no time at all and transports great in a crock pot.

We thoroughly enjoyed the pork and rice the other night. Thank you so much.

Kelly

Patti Doughty said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I love Green Jacket salad but have never had success making it myself. Maybe I should try it again.

I think I need to just make myself a list of Potluck foods that I can refer to whenever I need something.

Thanks again, Kel.

Eric said...

You are a hoot! This is funny! I understand though. When it is my turn to cook for Wednesday night dinners I always fret about not having enough, what makes the most, etc.