Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Time to Cut Down

Don and I made a decision to cut back financially in 2009. We held a Capital Campaign in our church towards the end of 2008 and all members were asked to make a sacrificial commitment to the Building Fund. In order to make our sacrificial commitment, we're going to have to tighten up.

Truthfully, this is very timely. With the economy on its way down the tubes, I can't think of a better time to begin practices that will, hopefully, pad our pocketbook a little more. I decided that the two areas in which I can most impact our budget are eating out and groceries, so I'm tackling those areas.

Years ago, Don and I were much more careful about our grocery shopping. However, when you can afford to buy what you need without worry, it becomes very easy to take the shortcut of ready-made foods instead of investing the time in making them yourself. I hadn't realized just how many things I buy off the shelf until the beginning of January.

Over the last two weeks, I've made homemade Chex Mix (3 kinds, in fact: one spicy, one Ranch-style, and one sweet), pizzas (with store-bought crusts and sauce - I'm not yet ready to tackle my own sauce and crusts, but it's coming), bread, syrup, rice krispie squares, and beef jerky. I made a trip to a Wholesale Club and bought large quantities of bacon bits for grits and soups, pepperoni (which I then divided into small baggies), bouillon cubes, vanilla, and several meats. I inventoried our freezer to identify what meats I had in the recesses that needed to be used, I've begun using up canned goods and am now ready to tackle the "snack" shelf.

When making out our grocery list last week, I remembered something we used to do when first married. Don likes to do the grocery shopping, but when I'm not doing it, it's a little difficult to manage costs. So, next to each item on the list, I would put a dollar amount. I'd add up the costs, throw in ten dollars or so for items that he may need but didn't make the list or for "specials" that are on sale and should be purchased even though not on the list, and I would write this amount on the top of the grocery list and circle it. That is our target cost. We should keep the bill at or below that number.

I tried it again last week. Even though I was pretty low on two items ($2 each), I was also over on almost every other item, so we came out almost dead on - no excessive over-buying (although Don DID come home with a box of doughnuts for Sunday morning's breakfast, something he almost always buys as a treat for the children and a break for me which never makes the list). I was very pleased.

I realize it's only the middle of January, but I think we're off to a great start. My plan is to freeze left-overs after labeling to be used for another meal instead of letting them sit in the fridge until they have to be thrown out. It's going to mean a lot more time and attention to the refridgerator and freezer and a lot more time spent in the kitchen, but I'm excited about re-learning to be resourceful.

I figure we should be able to recognize the impact by the end of April. And with all the effort I've made so far, it should be a significant impact.

Now it's time to begin addressing the "eating out" portion of the budget. Don HATES to eat out. Normally, it's me having lunch out with friends or grabbing a quick fast-food dinner with the children between Deanna's basketball game and choir practice. I'm not carrying all my gift cards with me in my purse so they can be used at various restaurants when necessary. I need to find a better way to keep restaurant coupons accessible when I need them. I haven't quite figured that out yet, but I'm working on it.

In any case, there's lots going on in the Doughty house - most of it in the kitchen. But the children are enjoying the fruits of my labor (the jerky is AWESOME) and I feel good about my efforts to cut back.

No comments: