Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

Tongue-tied

I've had this cold for almost 2 weeks now. Last weekend, when I was at the worst of it, I called my doctor's office hoping to get antibiotics for the sinus infection. He was gone for the day and they were happy to make me an appointment for the next morning with one of the Associates, but I really needed to start antibiotics THEN! I found some that Don had never finished up, looked them up online to be sure they were what I thought, and then began taking his. The prescription was one my ENT has used for me before for sinus infections and these had been prescribed by Don's ENT, who's in the same practice. So, even though I know better than to take someone else's prescription meds, I decided this was an emergency and I was going to try them.

They helped and I survived the weekend. Without them, I'm certain I would've been in the Emergency Room. Anyway, I've continued to take them and am continuing to improve. But I'm tired and run-down and never can quite seem to fit enough sleep into our busy schedule.

I was going to a prayer meeting last night while Don stayed home with the boys. Deanna was already there, at a bakesale, and my parents were supposed to be saving us seats. By the time Don got home, the meeting had already started and I was just tucking the boys in. Don and I went into the kitchen so we could exchange a few hurried sentences before I ran out the door. One of those sentences was a comment about how tired I was.

"Maybe if I take an Ambien right now," I reasoned outloud, "it'll kick in about the time I get home and I can go on to bed." The meeting only lasts 1 1/4 hours and I was almost 1/2 hour late already, so I really only needed to get through 45 minutes. Plus, since I've been taking Ambien on a semi-regular basis (every 3 months or so), I've found that they take a little longer to kick in.

"Yeah," Don responded. "Or maybe it'll kick in while you're driving home."

I decided to risk it. Wow! This Post really makes me seem like an unstable person - using someone else's antibiotics, taking an Ambien before going out!

Anyway, I was fine through the whole prayer meeting. At the end, I sent Deanna out to work the bakesale. When I caught up with her outside, there were still many more things left to be bought and the girls were hovering. I waited for awhile and visited with friends, then began to realize that my Ambien was about to begin working.

"Ask if you can leave, honey. We need to get home," I prompted Deanna. She got permission and we headed for my car, bumping into some good friends along the way.

We got into a discussion about the North Star and I asked my friends husband, who's an extremely well-educated man and knows everything about everything, what the name of the North Star was.

"I have NO idea," he responded. Unable to believe he didn't know (did I mention he knows EVERYTHING?), I commented, "I beg to differ," however, the words actually came out,

"I bare to digger." I knew something sounded wrong, so I glanced at Deanna.

"I bare to digger, MOM?" she raised her voice along with her eyebrows. I'm not sure which tickled me more - the fact that I couldn't quite place what I had said wrong or Deanna's reaction.

We piled in the car and headed home. Deanna quizzed me about my driving ability. I was clear-headed and had no difficulty staying in the center of my lane. There were no other cars anywhere around me and we only had to drive 3 blocks.

Deanna started discussing a situation at school, something that had happened with one of the other girls.

"She bares to digger," I explained to Deanna.

"MOMMY," she screamed before breaking into peals of laughter. However, that's become our new catch phrase around here.

Anyone bare to digger with us?

No comments: