Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

As I Limp Along ...

I understand that there are some children who have difficulty orienting themselves in space. These children have difficulty knowing where their body parts are located when their eyes are closed. For example, touching your nose or your ear with closed eyes sometimes is not possible children with spacial struggles.

This weekend, I found myself wondering if Daelyn has spacial challenges. Cool weather set in, so Daelyn wore his hiking boots to church on Sunday. They're clodhoppers and he couldn't seem to get within 3 feet of me without stepping on my toes, which were poking out of the end of my heeled white sandals. This happened no less than 6 times.

Then, while standing peacefully, singing a hymn (peacefully because Daelyn was at the other end of the pew with Don, giving Deanna and I a little break from wild child), the kneeler came crashing down on my already-sore foot. The leg of the kneeler hit my outside left ankle. I couldn't exactly scream with pain in the middle of church, so I gritted my teeth, sat down and closed my eyes, waiting for the pain to subside. It never did. Within minutes, a huge blue lump appeared on my ankle. Don suggested I sneal out and put ice on it. After 20 minutes of ice, the lump had gone down significantly, only to reappear once the ice was removed for a few minutes. I rejoined my family and the congregation, Daelyn asked my forgiveness, and we took Communion.

I have a bruise that covers half my foot now. And lying on my left side is almost impossible, because it requires my foot to lay on the outside and the bruising is so bad, I can't stand the pain when it's touched. Yesterday, I went to the Y right after dropping the kids off at school and stayed in my tennis shoes all day. By last night, my foot was so sore, it was hard to step on it. I'm going to try and stay in slippers as much as possible today to give my foot a break.

In an effort yesterday to justify the pain in my foot, I had Daelyn close his eyes.

"Touch your nose, please," I requested. Dead on. Daelyn opened one eye and glanced at me. No spacial challenges here, except when in proximity to Mom.

No comments: