Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Date Night

Don and I went on a date last night. We seem to manage these about twice a year, if we're lucky. Occasionally, we can eek out a third date, if we plan in advance.

We had our babysitter arrive at 4:45, so we could get an early start. We don't like to stay out late. We both turn into pumpkins by 11:00 and prefer to be home in jammies by then. We went to a rib place we'd never visited before (it was GREAT!), then went to a sports store to find a bathing suit for Deanna (I wanted to try a Speedo for her), then hit a movie. I had printed out the synopses, titles and ratings of 6-8 movies for Don to look over and he chose one of them, saying it was the only one on the list that looked decent to him. (Not too sure what "decent" means - apparently not what it means to me.)

The movie was terrible.There was, essentially, no ACTING in it, just people running around screaming and being mutilated (it said nothing about that in the synopsis). It was about a virus that attacks England and, 28 weeks after all the infected have died, it shows back up again. It was more like a "Night of the Living Dead" than a "Deadly Virus" movie. Gross, boring, bloody, no dialogue to speak of . . . I suggested, when I had to cover my eyes for the third time to keep from seeing people being decapitated by the blade of a helicopter, that a Chick Flick would have been way better. Don almost agreed. Shrek the Third or Spiderman 3 would have been a huge improvement over our choice.

This always seems to happen to us. If we rent movies to watch at home, we hit homeruns every time. But if we go to a theatre, we bomb. Our criteria for choosing movies seems to be the problem. We've sat through some real squirrels. In thinking about it, it seems to be the times Don chose the movies. When we bring ones home from the video store, I've always chosen them. I always let Don choose the theatre movies.

Next date, if I remember after 6 - 8 months, I'll let Don pick the restaurant and I'll pick the movie. I think I could have done better, but I'm not certain. I might have chosen just as bad a stinker, but we might give it a try, anyway. If I remember.

At least we found a suit for Deanna. We seem to do our best shopping when out on dates. Hmh! Maybe we should scrap the movies and spend our dates SHOPPING!!

Don would never be able to show his face around the guys again.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You should have seen the first installment of 28 days later....eech!