Search This Blog

Monday, May 07, 2007

Brilliant Conversationalists

Deanna came home from school this afternoon and asked for her after-school snack.

"Mom, I'm going to go change clothes. When I come out, will you have my snack ready?"

I responded, "Please put your clean clothes from the laundry room away before you come back up to the front of the house - hanging AND folded clothes, please."

A few minutes later, Deanna returned to the kitchen.

"Clothes?" I asked, with one eyebrow raised (a brilliant tactic I taught myself as a young teenager.)

"Snack!" Deanna responded.

I lowered my chin, raised both eyebrows, looked her straight in the eyes and said, "Clothes!"

Now it was her turn to raise an eyebrow. In a defiant tone, she responded, "Snack".

"Clothes" I spoke in a slightly raised tone, still trying to keep it level.

"Snack!" she snipped back.

Menacingly, I lowered my tone, set my teeth, and said, "Clothes."

Deanna grinned. "Snack!"

I slapped the counter and yelled, "Clothes!!!!"

Deanna walked from the room, yelling over her shoulder, "Snack".

When she returned 5 minutes later, her snack was on the table waiting for her.

No comments: