Search This Blog

Monday, September 15, 2008

It's Still on My Mind

It's these e-mails from my mother-in-law, getting me thinking about Christmas. She wrote again this weekend asking for gift ideas and about Christmas dinner. She also mentioned that they put their tree up very close to Christmas, sometimes on Christmas Eve.

Just thinking about that gave me goosebumps. We've never been able to pull off waiting that long - for 2 reasons. One, there are no nice trees available that late in the season. It's just too hot in Georgia for them to be cut in November and stay fresh until December 24. Out of necessity, we purchase, get in water, and decorate earlier. Two, our Christmas Eve is always so-o-o-o-o busy. There's food to make, last minute presents to wrap, gifts to deliver, etc. I'm sure everyone has a busy Christmas Eve.

But, this year, we'll have to have everything done before we leave for West Virginia, so there shouldn't be anything left to get done on Christmas Eve, except cooking up there. I got this image in my mind of a fire in the fireplace, Christmas music wafting softly through the house, the smell of pies baking in the oven, the fresh scent of a tree, and me and the children in our slippers laughing and humming as we decorate the tree with Don, Grandma and Grandpa. I can't imagine a better way to spend the morning on Christmas Eve. It's all so dreamy!

This is going to be a Christmas we'll never forget. All together, in one house. Two years ago, in England, our Christmas was wonderful, though very different. What I liked the most was not having to hurry to get dressed so we could get to Grandma's. I asked Don what time we should plan on eating Christmas dinner and he said, "Whenever it's ready. Don't stress yourself over a specific time. Start cooking when you're ready, and we'll eat when it's done."

It was so peaceful, the most peaceful Christmas I can remember since having children. I could hear the sounds of the children playing together with their new toys, the excitement lingering in the air. I had taken several Christmas CD's and Don put them on the computer to play for me. Every now and then, he'd wander into the kitchen and ask if I needed help or just put his arms around me and give me a quick squeeze. All was right in the world, even though our world that year was hundreds of miles from home and family.

I guess my expectations for this year are to have that same sense of peace while being right with family. I'm sure this is going to be a very different holiday for my in-law's and, I hope, not too loud and busy, but everytime I think about it, I want to go and wrap more presents.

If I get too excited, I guess I can always step outside in the 90 degree weather. That ought to slow down my visions of snow and sugarplums just a little.

No comments: