Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Promises for Today

We've been working on health issues again this week. Yesterday, I took Dane to the ENT for a follow-up. Because he's been having headaches, they did another CT scan. It wasn't perfect, there is some accumulation of mucous in some of his sinuses, but it was pretty good when looked at in total. And far better than his earlier scan. The doctor said he wouldn't do anything different at this point and to call if we had problems in the future. It was a very encouraging appointment.

I placed a call to the Pediatric Allergist that had put Daelyn and Deanna on antibiotics on Monday. I didn't think they were working. After talking with her, she agreed and switched them to another antibiotic. I haven't yet seen any improvement, but am hoping for some soon.

Don has an appointment this afternoon with his ENT. Hopefully, he'll get a good report. He's still having some headaches but he also seems to be improving.

And I'm FINE! It's so nice to say that. FINE. JUST DANDY! I can breath, which is a huge improvement for me. And I'm not congested. I don't think I've gone two week in my entire life without congestion. I go to bed clear, sleep soundly, and wake up in the morning able to breath. It's wonderful to have oxygen pouring into my sinuses. And I feel really good; a little tired, perhaps, but I've decided that's the pace of our lives.

I may be taking my mother to Alabama this weekend to see the baby. She can now be held and it would be wonderful to hold that precious little girl. Great-Grandma can hardly stand it. But we had several things on the calendar that I'm having to attempt to rearrange, and can't yet be certain I'll work it all out. I'm hopeful, though.

I do have one prayer request. Daelyn is having difficulty hearing and it's affecting his school performance. He can't hear directions. He told me yesterday that he only hears about two words out of every sentence his teacher utters and he has to try and figure it out. He's spending a lot of time thinking hard about the papers in front of him and the words he distinguished from her directions so he can do his work. She did move him right next to her desk yesterday. We're both hoping this will help.

I called his Allergist yesterday. They said that he definately had fluid on his ear which can cause difficulty hearing and that it may take up to two weeks to reabsorb. I also called his Pediatrician. He last had his hearing checked in May/07 and it was fine. They said they won't recheck his hearing if he's being treated for an ear infection. That we'll have to give it a couple more weeks and see how he does.

I'm praying that's all it is. His teacher has some other concerns, like lack of focus, but I can see how it would be possible for all of this to be caused by an inability to hear. I'm going into his classroom for 1/2 hour today to observe. But I'm praying for dramatic improvement with him sitting so close to her.

It's been a very emotional week for me - lots of ups and downs, more downs than ups. By last night, I just felt like I needed to sit down and have a good cry. Some friends at church encouraged me to get a nice glass of wine and relax for a few minutes before bed. I did. I put my feet up, ate some popcorn, and drank a glass of wine while visiting with Don (pouring out my heart to him, actually). I slept very soundly and feel a little better today - at least from a disposition standpoint.

Today has its own challenges. Time to put away the challenges of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and focus on today. The Lord has much to teach me and today is a Fast Day, so I'm sure he'll speak clearly. I want to be able to listen.

I've been praying some bold prayers this month and asking the Lord to dramatically change some things in my life. I'm beginning to feel differently in some areas, so I think He may be answering these deep desires for holiness. I sure hope so.

And today is a new day and with it comes great promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Patti, and all the concerns of your heart. As I read your blog, I am eating the last of your chicken divan. Delicious! You are a generous friend and a dedicated mother.

We will pray for clarity and an effective plan of action for Daelyn.

Kelly

Patti Doughty said...

Thanks, Kel. It all turned out just fine. His teacher declared him "healed" the next day. I think the antibiotics finally kicked in.