Search This Blog

Monday, September 22, 2008

Ricochet Effect

Deanna asked for advice this morning. The basic gist is that they don't have assigned seats in several of her classes. She's hot-natured and some of the girls have claimed Squatter's Rights to certain seats directly in front of the fan. Deanna wanted to know if there was a polite way to sit in one of these seats without causing problems.

"If I were you, I'd get to class early and choose the seat I want. If anyone comments that you're in their chair, look around casually, then comment, 'I didn't see your name on it!'"

We practiced several renditions of the same response. I also suggested responding with, "Talk to the teacher!" If they ask if you've done the research you were assigned, respond, "Talk to the teacher!" If they ask how you're doing today, respond "Talk to the teacher!"

By the time Deanna left for school, she was laughing and saw this whole issue from a very different, humorous perspective.

On the way home this afternoon, I asked how school had gone and if she tried out a different seat.

"I sure did, Mama. I sat right in front of the fan."

"And did anyone say anything to you?"

"Yep. _____ came up and said, 'Deanna, you're sitting in my seat.'"

My ears perked up and I looked at her, one eyebrow raised.

"What did you do, hon?"

"I looked to the right, then to the left, and said, 'I didn't see your name on it.'"

"Good for you! I'm proud of you. You stood up for yourself."

"Yeah. Except, when we stood up to pray, I saw a note stuck to the seat that said, '______'s seat'!"

My mouth dropped open. Deanna cracked up.

"________ said, 'No wonder you didn't see my name on it - you were sitting on it!'"

So much for my good advice.

No comments: