Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More Dribbles

Now I'm dealing with a different kind of dribble. My throat and ears got itchy yesterday and my nose started to run. I had a women's meeting/potluck last night. After dinner, there were some short talks. My nose began to run. With no warning, it would suddenly just pour. The only thing I had close by was a napkin, which my mother tried to take from me to throw away. I nearly screamed at her. The woman sitting across the table, who had been watching me grab furiously for it each time the downpour began again, smiled knowingly. (Thanks, Barbara.) Mom was just trying to clean off the table, but it would have been nice if she asked before she took my much-needed napkin.

Deanna had a similar situation, on another front. A very helpful woman took her plate and fork for her. However, she wasn't finished eating and wanted some more of the yummy sausage and cheese dip a friend had brought.

"Was there any more of that sausage dip left when you were up at the table, Mommy?" she asked.

"Lots," I responded.

"Do you think it would be okay for me to get some more?" The talks had already started and Deanna was a little embarrassed to be moving around while someone was speaking.

"It'd be fine, honey. Go ahead and get some." We were at the very last table, nearest the food, and other people were moving around. I'm sure the speaker didn't intend for us to leave hungry.

"Can I borrow your plate?" I glanced over and realize hers had already been "cleared off". I handed her mine.

A couple of minutes later, she sat back down next to me. I glanced at her plate. She had about a spoonful of the dip and a few chips - a very respectable serving. I smiled at her. She smiled back, then leaned close.

"Can I borrow your fork, too?" she asked. I rolled my eyes, but bailed the fork out of the other napkin in which I had wrapped it. She carefully cleaned it, then began to eat her chips and dip. The woman across the table smiled at us. (Yes, Barbara again.)

We Moms try to be helpful - the right kind of helpful, that is, even if it's just an encouraging smile.

No comments: