Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2009

Flipping

We moved Daelyn into the spare bedroom today. When we first rebuilt our house, this room was the Nursery, Daelyn's room. So he's back in his own room again.

He's thrilled. I stripped both boys' beds, washed sheets and comforters, and remade the bed in the spare room with Daelyn's bed set. I moved all his clothes into the dresser in the spare room and moved most of his hanging clothes. I decided not to tell him and to wait to see how long it took for him to put two and two together.

Not long. He wandered into the room, looking for me, and saw his bedset.

"Who's room is this?" he asked.

"Yours." He immediately began moving his "things", humming sweetly to himself. Throughout the afternoon, I'd find him in there, with the door closed, lying on his bed reading.

Dane got a little frustrated.

"I wanted that room," he told me, then stomped into Daelyn's new room and kicked the dresser. "My room isn't at all the way I wanted it. I only want one bed in there. Take the top bunkbed down."

That just wasn't happening. We'll need that bed in the future, and I'm not going to store it in the attic where it'll deteriorate. Dane will have a spare bed in his room for spend-the-night guests or Daelyn when we have an adult visitor who needs Daelyn's bed.

Anyway, it took some discussing before he began to see the light. I did, however, offer to measure and, if possible, move the beds to a different wall to give the room a different look. They fit, so I moved them, then the dresser and the rest of the furniture. The room looks very different. It has a totally different feel from when the boys shared the room.

Dane was tickled with how it turned out. We want both boys to keep their rooms CLEAN now and dust-free. Daelyn has a spare drawer in his dresser for his extra "stuff" so it won't be left lying about to gather dust. Dane has lots of room in his closet, which we're putting to good use. Both rooms look WAY better already.

They both seem to understand that their rooms MUST be kept clean. We'll see how long that lasts.

No comments: