Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Foil on Eggs - true beauty!

We dyed our Easter eggs today - 2 dozen, to be exact.

I'm the last stronghold of Easter egg-dying in the family, yet everyone looks forward to the dyed eggs. My mother has a special basket for them and is counting on them as part of the table decoration.

Truth is, I dyed eggs when I was single. The dying isn't just a product of having young children. I LOVE dying eggs. Each year, I buy a different type of kit and we try something new. This year, we used a kit that requires you to put a thin layer of glue over the egg, then, when it's tacky, you stick silver, gold, blue, green, pink or purple shiny paper against it. The color sticks and pulls off the sheets in random patterns. They're beautiful and probably the most fun Deanna's ever had with eggs.

This is quite an art. Deanna's experimenting with dying the egg one color, then pressing the shiny paper to it in a contrasting color. She has one that she dyed a robin's egg blue, then used green shiny foil on it. I tried one, my first, dying the egg a bright orangey-pink. Then I put gold, silver and purple foil on it. It's pretty but not as stunning as Deanna's. I don't think I have the technique down quite as well as her.

The boys and their dad have gone on a hike with the Cub Scouts. I'm trying to get the kitchen cleaned up and finish my Easter cards while making dessert for tonight's dinner. (And, no, the computer's not in the kitchen. I took a break to Post while I was eating a salad - my first meal of the day.) Deanna is back at the table, doctoring up any eggs that don't look magnificent yet.

I'll be hard to top this year's eggs next year. But maybe everyone will have forgotten how beautiful these are by the time next Easter rolls around. Except, of course, for Deanna. I'm sure she'll remember and we'll spend weeks next year looking for this same type of Decorating Kit.

No comments: