Search This Blog

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Cinquo Success

Momentus day yesterday. Daelyn had his 4-yr. check-up with the Pediatrician. Dane had a talk with him the night before, unbeknownst to me. At 8 p.m. on Thursday, Daelyn came into the kitchen crying.

"They're gonna give me shots tomorrow. Call Dr. Miller right now and cancel my sheck-up, Mama. I don't want to go."

I could have killed Dane. What's more, I wasn't sure that was true.

"Son, I don't know that you ARE getting any shots. Brother might be wrong."

"I'll get the phone. You call Dr. Miller and ask, okay?"

Daddy and I both worked very hard to get out of that one. Daelyn woke up the next morning fussing about his "sheck-up". All told, Dane was right. Daelyn had to tinkle in a cup, he had his hearing and vision checked, he had a physical exam, and (deep breath) got 3, count them, 3 shots. We didn't tell him about the shots until the nurse had the syringes sitting on the treatment table, all ready to go. I had to hold him down. I put my arms over his torso with his hands above them, so he couldn't harm the nurse. He reached up and, when it hurt, pinched my neck repeatedly. Not out of meanness, just out of pain. So now Mommy has a bruised neck to match Dae-Dae's bruised thighs.

He missed his nap and was a huge grump. Deanna came home from school feeling puny, so she skipped ballet to rest in anticipation of her big night. I skipped my 5 p.m. commitment, and we went to pick up her friend for dinner. I told Don that whatever he and Ken did with the boys for dinner, they should do it early so he could get the boys to bed early - then Deanna and I ran out the door.

We were sitting in a booth with my niece and sister, munching on chips and salsa and our wonderful meal (shrimp quesadilla for me) when my sister sucked in her breath and muttered, "Uh-oh!" She was sitting facing the door, I sat across from her. I stood up, turned around to look over the booth and standing at the front entrance was Don holding Daelyn. For a minute, I wasn't sure if they had chosen the same restaurant as us for dinner or if there was some problem with Daelyn and Don had come to bring him to me. Turned out it was the former. They were sitted two booth's away from us. Dane ran over to visit, as did Daelyn.

Later, our waiter came over. I explained that that was my husband sitting over there. My sister and niece kept yelling, "Don't believe her. She just wants to flirt with him and wants you to do the dirty work." I ignored them and asked the waiter to go tell him I thought he was a hunk. The waiter laughed and said, in very broken English, that he didn't deliver messages.

As we were getting ready to leave, he brought our check. "Did you give that handsome guy my message?" I asked, joking.

"Yah," he said, "but he said he didn't know you."

Deanna got her ears done. They look beautiful and she's very tickled with herself. I'll post pictures soon of the experience. I got several of her cringing in anticipation. On the way home, she said it didn't really hurt.

But she's decided her hair looks much better in a bun than down. I wonder if it has anything to do with the sparkle at the bottom of her ears?

Oh, by the way, my brother-in-law says that the Mexicans won a very important battle on May 5 against the . . . (I wasn't listening closely enough) - that's why they celebrate Cinquo de Mayo. I came home with a great Corona Beer T-shirt that has some cutesy saying on it. A good time was had by all.

3 comments:

Patti Doughty said...

I'd be delighted for you to link to my Blog. I looked yours over a few days ago and was blessed by your Posts.

Our Lord needs as many warriors as possible to fight His battle. Fight on, Brother.

Rachel said...

Against the French!

Anonymous said...

Shrimp Quesadilla's are my favorite too. YUMMY!!!

Too cute about you flirting with your husband at the restaurant.