Search This Blog

Friday, May 05, 2006

Piercings and Parties

Cinquo de Mayo. I'm not quite sure what this holiday is all about in the Mexican tradition, but it's fun to say, anyway. And tonight, we're celebrating. Not the 5th of May, as thousands of other Americans will be today, but a hallmark in Deanna's life. She and I have finally prevailed with her father and she's getting her ears pierced tonight.

We're making quite a big deal out of it. We invited all the girls in the family. Unfortunately, Grandma, the leader of the Clan and most fun person in the family, is still in Kazakstan on a Mission and won't be able to join us. But Aunt Toni and Aunt Trina and Cousin Meme will be there. Deanna asked if she could invite a friend, as well, so her buddy, Theresa, will be going with us.

We're going to - yes, I'm a little crazy - a Mexican Restaurant for dinner. I'm hoping that we'll get there early enough to celebrate the fun of Cinquo without the drunken crowds of Cinquo. We're planning dinner for 5:30. I'm leaving Don and the boys to fend for themselves - ah, ain't it lovely!!! (By the way, that's a statement, not a question.) Then we'll all process up to the Mall for "The Piercing".

Deanna's wanted her ears pierced since she was two. The idea of being able to wear sparkly earrings beckoned to her like a Siren's Call. But her Daddy's response was, "When you're 16, we'll think about it." I, myself, got my ears pierced by a woman in the neighborhood without permission and much younger than 16. We froze my lobe with an ice cube, sterilized a large needle, then she poked it in, using a carrot top behind the ear to catch the needle on the other side. I thought I was all prepared, though a little nervous, until the needle went into the carrot and there was a loud CRUNCH. You don't want to hear crunching when someone's sticking a needle in your ear. I tried very hard to calm my panic by telling myself it was the carrot that crunched, not my ear, but the second ear was pretty tricky. The process they use these days is so much simpler and cleaner. Just choose a pair of earrings (they have 4 different styles from which to choose), sterilize the ear, place a dot on each and make sure they're even, then - pop - the gun shoots the earring right through the hole, like a paper punch. Very little pain, very quick, almost no preparation.

But, back to my previous thoughts. I got my ears pierced earlier than 16, and I've been lobbying for Deanna. Every little girl needs pierced ears. Once I was convinced Deanna was fastidious enough to keep her ear disinfected and clean until it healed and was certain this was what she really wanted, I was all for it. But Daddy said "16 - that's the age for those kinds of things."

For Easter, I got Deanna this beautiful jewelry set to wear with her Easter dress. It had a bracelet and necklace and matching earrings. Again, she complained and asked if she couldn't get her ears pierced so she could start wearing some of the beautiful earrings she sees. I talked with Daddy again. Deanna's had a tough year. She needs some encouragement, some kind of reward. Daddy agreed to think about it a little more.

When we came home from West Virginia, he pulled out the School Handbook, which he had studied while we were gone. He had it open to a page about grooming.

"Okay," he started, "according to this, you can have pierced ears, but no more than two piercings per ear and no piercings anywhere but the ear."

I waited patiently for the final statement. You can't extrapolate with Don. It would seem that this was his approval, but you can't be sure until you hear the final answer. So I stood there, waiting. He looked at me, dead in the eyes, then squinted and looked again, as if he was trying to read something there. I'm not sure what he saw. Maybe hope for Deanna. Maybe pleading. Maybe an image of my beautiful little girl with pierced ears. I don't know. But the final answer eventually came.

"I suppose it's alright. You can get her ears pierced."

I whooped and hollered, then hugged and kissed him and thanked him for his thoughtful consideration. Not many daddys are as concerned about the small things as Don. I'm glad he's so involved in every aspect of our children's lives and wants to be the one to make these decisions. He's a strong, loving, prayerful man of God, and an example to our sons and daughter.

So, we're celebrating Cinquo de Mayo tonight as gals, with the youngest one being honored for another rung in the ladder of life. My little girl is growing up - slowly, but surely.

Happy 5th of May to you, as well.

1 comment:

Patti Doughty said...

Thank you! Don is a very hands-on person, in general (except when it comes to chores, but he's working on that). When we were engaged, he got upset because I chose the bridesmaid dresses without discussing it with him first. I finally had to choose an aspect of the wedding to hand over to him so he had enough to keep him busy to keep him from micro-managing me.

But I love that quality in him, as I do almost ALL his qualities.