Search This Blog

Monday, May 15, 2006

Grand-standing

My Mom called yesterday right after we got home from church looking for an egg to borrow and told me that my sister, niece, and nephew, who was home from college for the weekend, were at her house. When I couldn't sleep because of the drop of caffeinated coffee I had at church, I snuck out of the house with the puppy and headed for Mom's.

It was great to see my nephew, who hasn't been home since Christmas. Grandma decided my nephew needed to see Donovan's tricks, so I trotted him into the living room to show him off. He's a wonderful puppy and smart as all get-out, but he's young and distractable and often has to be given a command repeatedly before he responds. I knew it was a stressful situation for him, also - at Grandma's house, in front of at least one stranger. He followed me to the carpet and dutifully turned, looking up at me. I smiled at him, told him what a good boy he was, then commanded him to sit. The words were barely out of my mouth when he plopped his rear right down. I patted him on the head and told him how impressed I was. Then I told him to lie down. As if in anticipation of my words, he flattened his belly onto the floor almost before I spoke. I was amazed and praised him. Then I commanded him to jump up and raised my hand to waist level. He stood up on his back legs and began dancing for his audience. Everybody clapped for him. I picked him up and kissed him and told him what a smart dog he was.

"Well, that's it. That's all the tricks he knows."

"What about that one I saw you doing with him at your house," my sister asked.

"You mean, rolling over? He's just learning that. He can't get his hind quarter over yet and doesn't yet understand the command. And I don't have any treats with me."

"Oh, come on. I saw him doing it at your house and he almost had it. Let him try for Bradley." Toni's argument was compelling.

"Well, we'll give it a try, but don't be disappointed if he just lies there yelping," I responded.

First, I told Donovan to sit. Then, lie down, both of which he did immediately. "Roll over," I said, and turned my hand in a circle in front of his fact. "Roll over," I repeated, turning my hand again. And doggone it if he didn't. Flipped that rear and rolled completely over, grinning at me the whole time.

I shrieked in disbelief. My little puppy's been holding out on me. Whoops and cries went up from Donovan's audience. I scooped him up into my arms, kissed him, and praised him highly. The rest of the crowd clapped vigorously. Mama came and took Donovan from my arms. She kissed him, then took him around to Bradley.

"Isn't he the smartest dog you've ever seen?" she exclaimed. "And he's so sweet and easy to teach."

"He's sure smarter than our dogs," Bradley said drily.

"Hey," yelled Toni. "My babies can do all kinds of tricks."

"Yeah," Bradley responded, "like eating frogs."

Everyone laughed. Toni added, "At least he keeps the neighborhood frog-free!"

Our little puppy is so much like the rest of the family. He apparently loves grand-standing and is a little of a show-off. He learns quickly and loves being appreciated and praised.

Not all too different from my children. Possibly even a little like me.

No comments: