Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sharing the Bed with Donovan

Donovan has adopted a bad habit. He won't go to bed at night until I tuck him in. Now, of course, you all remember that Donovan is the DOG!! He sleeps in his kennel in the kitchen but, if Don tries to put him to bed for me, he cries, whines and yelps until I go into the kitchen, take him out of his kennel, tell him he's a good boy, kiss him and snuggle him for a minute or two, then put him back to bed myself.

Don's indignant about this situation, but his feelings have no bearing on Donovan's actions. The puppy, like all three of my children, wants MOMMY to tuck him in, not Daddy.

Last week, in the throes of this terrible bronchitis, Don brought the puppy to bed with us one night.

"You're not putting him in his kennel?" I asked.

"No, I'd like to actually get some sleep tonight," he retorted in a frustrated voice.

Apparently, he figured that since I was sick and already in bed, there was no chance I'd be tucking the boy in, thus his concern that Donovan would cry all night long (and a very long night it would have been, at that). However, once you allow the pup in the bed with us, there's absolutely no chance of ever getting him back in his kennel.

So he now sleeps with us. And he does such a good job of it that I decided to allow him in the bed with us for naps, as well. Today, while I was trying to get Daelyn down, I put Donovan on the end of the bed. By the time I had gotten myself in a prone position, he was next to my head, licking my face and Daelyn's. Daelyn laughed and yelled, "The Puppy!", which I hear at least 1,000 times a day now. I picked Donovan up, placed him gently back at the end of the bed, but before I was back in position, he was next to my head again. Once more, I moved him and turned over on my stomach.

Five minutes later, "The Puppy!!" reached my ears. I glanced down and Donovan was at knee level, nibbling on Daelyn's fingers.

"Just move your hand, son, and go to sleep!!"

Within several minutes, he had snuck back up to my face. In frustration, I decided to stare him down. I got eyeball-to-eyeball with Donovan and frowned at him, holding his gaze for several minutes. Just when I was certain I was very intimidating and he finally had the full picture, he licked me.

I've decided the best solution is to sleep on my side.

No comments: