Search This Blog

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Unexpected

Two Daelyn stories today.

This morning, I had to take a quick bath before walking the kids to school. We're in the process of teaching modesty and privacy - knocking before you enter a closed door, waiting until you are invited to enter, closing the door back behind you, not running through the house (or outdoors) naked, not dropping your drawers on the WAY to the bathroom, etc.

I always close the bathroom door, not that it makes much difference. But the children are beginning to learn to knock before entering. This morning, I pulled my hair up on top of my head so it wouldn't get wet during my 5-minute bath. I was busy scrubbing when the door flew open and in walked all three. Deanna had something to ask me, Daelyn had already thrown the door open, so she followed him in, assuming it was alright. Dane was tagging along.

Grand Central Station. A little embarrassed to have so much company while trying to bathe, I asked what was up. Deanna began her question when Daelyn interrupted her.

"Mama," he said, "you look nice today."

Thanks ever so much, son - naked, no makeup, hair piled on my head. At least he's generous in his opinions.

Later this morning, we had to go to Wal-Mart to get some pictures developed. While we waited for the 1-hr. developing, I took him to the in-store McDonald's for lunch. I've been trying to teach him letters and their sounds in preparation for Kindergarten in another year. We've been working on the vowels. He now knows a and e and their sounds. I decided to give him a little different experience and, while we ate, I asked him about the letter "c".

I told him the sound c makes, then asked him, "What word starts with that sound," expecting "cat" or "cow".

"Culture," responded Daelyn.

O.K. Culture begins with a "c". I sat and stared at my son for a minute. He certainly is unique.

The unexpected - both in vocabulary and opinions of beauty. That's my boy.

No comments: