Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Bunny Ears

Don had so much comp time stored up from England that his boss told him to take Tuesday off to help with jet lag. For two weeks, he was away from the children and all their noises, the constant ruckus and chatter that comes with three children. He was working with a bunch of professionals in a quiet, professional environment. Then he returns home - to everything THAT means.

He was sitting at the kitchen table Tuesday afternoon after Daelyn got home from school. Daelyn has always been a talker - he talks to me, the dog, his siblings, his toys, his schoolwork, the furniture, imaginary people, and anything else that he thinks might be interested - and he truly things everything is interested. He's a non-stop running commentary on everything he sees and thinks.

Daelyn: "Daddy, you don't have your shoes on. Before we go pick up the van, you have to put your shoes on."

Don, getting a word in edgewise: "I know, son."

Daelyn: "Did you know that I learned how to tie shoes while you were gone? Want me to show you? Can I tie your shoes, Daddy? Just let me tie your shoes for you and I can show you. How about letting me tie your shoes?"

Don, smirking: "Fine, son. Just let me put them on first!" He proceeded to slip his feet into his tennis shoes, then turn sideways in his chair so his feet were firmly planted in front of Daelyn. "Have at it."

Daelyn: "I really can tie shoes, Daddy. I learned while you were gone. It's real easy. I'll show you. You just take this lace and you make a bunny ear. Dane taught me. I'm real good at it, Daddy. Then you take this other lace and make a bunny ear. See? I'm doing it, Daddy. Don't you think I'm doing good? Then you wrap the bunny ears around each other and stick this one through the hole. That's what I'm doing. Daddy, can you see what I'm doing. I'm sticking the bunny ear through the hole. Where's the hole? I don't see the hole. I've lost the hole. Where's the hole. I know it's here someplace. Dane taught me. You make the bunny ears, then you wrap them around each other and put this one in the hole. But there's no hole. There's got to be a hole. Dane taught me. There's no hole. Oh, well. I don't really know how to tie shoes, Daddy."

All of this was said continuously, with no breaths or pauses. I looked over at Don. He was grinning from ear to ear. I started to laugh, which was a mistake because I had dental work done and my mouth was very swollen. I glanced up again and he had that old familiar sparkle in his eyes.

Poor Daelyn. He'll learn eventually. He's off to a good start. But more importantly, his Daddy's home to teach him and enjoying every second of his very talkative son.

No comments: