Search This Blog

Friday, September 14, 2007

School Daze

It's raining lightly outside and was all afternoon yesterday and through the night. I'm so thankful for the rain. There's no air conditioning in the school and it's awfully difficult for the children to concentrate and work when it's stifling in the classroom. I can't imagine how the teachers handle it.

Wednesday, in Daelyn's classroom, it reached 90 degrees, even though the temp outside was only 86. It was actually cooler sitting outside in the sun than it was in the classroom. By the time he got out, I ran carpool, and we got home, the stuffing had been sweated right out of me. I was completely exhausted, but I needed to take my mom to the dentist. We got home just in time to pick the other two up from school, then I picked up Chinese take-out for dinner and headed home. I asked the children to bring their schoolwork into my bedroom so I could work on it with them while I laid down. When they finished, we ate dinner (at 4 p.m.) and I headed back to the bedroom. I actually dozed off twice for 15 minutes each, which refreshed me just enough to get me through leading part of the practice for Children's Choir.

It can't cool off soon enough for me. When it's this hot and muggy in the classroom, you just feel like you're living in a fog, a daze.

The children ran out to play in the rain yesterday. It was refreshing, also, and they needed some outside time, but it's just been too hot. I'm sure it also reminded them of England. They all donned rain slickers and took off for the backyard. I noticed when they came back in that everyone's attitudes had improved.

We all needed a little break from the heat. It's amazing how much better we can all relate when we're cool and comfortable.

Keep it comin', Lord. It's just a drop in my rain bucket.

No comments: