Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Birthday Blues

Today is Don's birthday. He's fmphphth - something (of course, masking your words is far more important with women than with men). He got up early and left for work. He says he kissed me before he left. I have vague recollections of smooching a couple of times with somebody - could have been the dog - but Don says it was him. Sure couldn't prove it by me.

From work this evening, he went straight to the church for the first Handbell Rehearsal of the season. Last week, in desperation to figure out how to honor him, I begged him for a plan. Last night we had a meeting, tomorrow we have a Prayer Meeting. Tonight, while he and the children were at church, I had a planning meeting for a Christmas Festival. How could we possibly do anything for Don's birthday and WHAT DID HE WANT TO DO?

He suggested we go out to dinner this Friday for Mexican. It seemed like a reasonable plan. I called him this morning before he arrived at work and sang Happy Birthday to him. I called him this afternoon to tell him Happy Birthday - that's when he witnessed to the kissing this morning. When I dropped the children off at church for Choir, I reminded them to tell all the Handbell Ringers that it was Daddy's birthday so they could sing to him. And I hurried home from my meeting to greet my sweet birthday guy. For today, it'll have to do.

I'm glad he's not as intense about his birthday as I am. I would have never been satisfied with no celebration on "the day".

Happy Birthday anyway, my love, and at least fmphphth more to come.

No comments: