Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

And the days roll on

Late last night I got an e-mail from Don that he had sent before leaving work. I wasn't in the habit of checking my e-mails during the day, because he usually only writes upon arrival at work, which is still the middle of the night here, so his daily note is waiting for me when I get up.

So, anyway, I found this short note. This was the entire message:

"Ok, It's official - I'm headed to the West Lakes office in Cumbria tomorrow morning for at least Wednesday and Thursday. I will finally get to see the Lake District."

I was thrilled and apprehensive at the same time. Thrilled that he was finally getting to see the site that was the topic of the bid proposal he worked to put together for 3 months, never having actually seen the facility. But I got a lump in my throat everytime I thought about him being gone for the next couple of days and unreachable.

If I had gotten the message earlier, I might have been able to make some plans with him. But it was so late, it was the middle of the night, and I wasn't going to call and wake him.

We agreed not to talk Monday night because he was having dinner with our good friends, Monika and Chris, and I didn't want him to feel like he needed to hurry to get back to his room in time for my call. He wrote me about their dinner, which turned out to be very late (they didn't arrive until 10:30) because of severe traffic problems, and said he needed to get to bed early Tuesday. I responded via e-mail that I wouldn't call him Tuesday, either, so he could get to bed whenever possible without having to wait up for my call. But I was really starting to miss him and yearning for the sound of his voice. Then I read the note and realized I wouldn't be able to talk to him Wed. or Thurs. nights, and I got a little emotional.

All-in-all, I think I've done quite well this trip. Don's communication skills have dramatically improved and I've felt close to him the entire 10 days he's been gone. On Monday, when I realized I still had another week to get through, I decided that I couldn't handle looking at the whole week at one time - I needed to just take it day by day, which I've done, and done very satisfactorily, if I do say so myself. However, I began to feel a little shaky and rough around the edges round about Tuesday - just before I got his note.

I batted off a response, not having any idea if he was going to the office before leaving for Cumbria or not. On the outside chance that he might, I asked that he call me from his cellphone.

I put on a brave face and attempted to do some other work on the computer, but everytime I looked down at the "Mail" icon, that lump in my throat would reappear. I tried to put it out of my mind and went to bed late and slept restlessly.

At 7:30 this morning, while trying to get the kids lunches made and breakfast on the table, the phone rang. It was Don. He got my message when he got to Cumbria and responded, but I hadn't checked my e-mail. His response said that he'd call at 7:30. We had a nice chat, I heard all about the drive up, and he talked with the children. It did me a world of good to just chat with my husband.

He called again this afternoon and it felt wonderful. He's not sure when he's going back south or even IF he's going back south and I think he's realized that I'm a little uncomfortable with the lack of info. So he's trying to stay in touch to get me through.

My husband really knows me. And he loves me. And he works very hard to show me.

There are worse things in life that being separated by 5,000 miles from the love of your life. Some people are separated in the same town. Others are separated in the same house.

Don's having a wonderful time and I'm so thankful he has this opportunity.

God is good and his mercy is everlasting. And timely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Patty! What a night it was on Monday, it took us 3,5 hours to get to Worsley where Don was.(a trip that should last only 45 minutes normally) We were determined to get to him as we would have not had time any other time this week. Both working extra hard as we both are off next week to Estonia!!Chris's birthday 23rd and my dads on 21st,so a bit of a celebration time. And of course the reunion with my family after January when we last saw them. Such a joy~!
Thank you for our goodies! We were secure to know that in case there should be a traffic jam on our way back on Monday night,we had some food with us!
Don thinks of you and he looked very lonely, so i am sure he is pleased to get home soon!!!!Make sure you prepare some nice food and maybe a little glass of red wine to perc things up!!!!
B e good!
Monika and Chris!