Search This Blog

Thursday, September 06, 2007

School Blues

Today was the first REAL day of school for Daelyn. Tuesday was mostly spent learning rules, getting used to the new classroom, and the parents stayed with their new Kindergarteners until almost 10 a.m. That left little time for classwork before 1 p.m., when they got out.

Yesterday, I was in the classroom with Daelyn. In the afternoon after lunch, I was sitting at the Teacher's desk doing some work for her when he slipped out of his chair, appeared at my elbow, and climbed into my lap.

"Okay, Mom, I'm ready to go home now," he announced softly in my ear as he wrapped his little arm under my chin and around my head. He was tired and had had enough of school. After all, I was there with him. Surely I ought to be able to leave whenever he was ready and take him home.

I gently explained that we couldn't leave and that he had to finish out the day. He grudgingly returned to his seat, but survived the rest of the day.

Today, he bounded in the door, quite pleased with himself.

"I had a great day today at school, Mom," he beamed.

"That's wonderful, son. I'm so glad. What did you learn?"

He responded with lots of stories. We snuggled for a minute or two so I could welcome him home, he unpacked his backpack and sat down for his snack. I turned my back and, when I turned around again, he was down on the floor cuddling the puppy and, just like that, he started to cry.

"I hate school. I'm never going back again!" he declared.

What, you may ask, caused this huge change in demeanor? I think the realization that he hadn't seen his dog all day long was the straw that broke the camel's back. Then he turned to look at me with a tormented expression and spat out the words, "And I didn't even see Dane ALL DAY!"

Tuesday was exciting and short. Yesterday, his Mama was in the classroom. Today, for the first time, he flew solo, and I think it was just too much for him.

The same thing happened with Deanna, but she was about 2 weeks into school before her meltdown. And it hit Dane at the beginning of the second week. It's the "this was fun to try, but I don't want to do it every day" syndrome. No running in the backyard, playing whatever he wants to play on whatever whim grips him at the moment, being free - that is all a thing of the past for him, and he's smart enough to know it.

I held him, clucked my tongue soothingly, kissed his sweet little face, and welcomed Donovan up to snuggle us both. I talked softly about pushing through and how things would get better (sounding very convincing for a Mom who's struggling so much herself, if I do say so). Then I sent him into his room to change clothes and called Grandpa.

"Can Daelyn come up for a few minutes, Papa?" I asked. I explained about his day and that I thought he needed a little brightness that only grandparents can provide. Grandpa agreed and told me to send him up. I made my way back to his bedroom and suggested he run up through the backyards for a short visit. Daelyn crawled on top of his bed and began scooting under the covers.

"I don't think so, Mommy. I'm just going to stay home and go to sleep."

"Okay," I responded. "But let me go put these things back in the kitchen and I'll come and lay down with you for a few minutes," secretly relieved because I desperately needed a nap, also.

By the time I reached the kitchen, he was running behind me down the hallway.

"I'm going to Grandma's," he yelled over his shoulder as he passed me in the kitchen. "Be back in a while."

Thank God for Grandma's and Grandpa's. I fear if I had laid down with him for a nap, I might have lost my gumption and told him he didn't have to go to school anymore.

I sure was thinking that.

No comments: