Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I survived the first day of school and Don's departure for England. It will be a short trip this time and he'll be staying in an area with which we're unfamiliar. But he should get to see some of our friends and renew old acquaintances.

After seeing Daelyn safely into his classroom following Assembly this morning, I came home, did a few quick chores, then met a couple of friends for lunch and a stiff margarita. Left the restaurant just in time to pick up Daelyn. My parents came by the house to pray over Don, we packed a few last-minute items, then we headed for the airport. I dropped him and Daelyn to get checked in, then took off to pick up the other two. Both their teachers graciously allowed me to take them out of school about 3 minutes early so we could get to the airport. We sat with Don until he really needed to go through security, said our good-bye's, and headed to Golden Corral for dinner. It's not even 5:30 yet and we're home and the children are in the tub. I promised they could watch "High School Musical" until 6:45 if they hurried through their baths and bedtime preparations. I have a headache that won't quit - probably the culmination of a lot of stress over the last 2 weeks.

One last funny story. Don was sitting at the table sorting through a stack of stuff when I got home with Daelyn. In the stack were a few children's books that he asked Daelyn to put back on the bookshelf for him. Daelyn started through the kitchen, then stopped and turned around.

"You know, Dad, I can read now," he announced.

I snickered. That Mrs. Phillips sure is a good teacher. Only one day of school and she already has those Kindergarteners reading.

No comments: