Search This Blog

Friday, November 02, 2007

Emergency Surgery

My niece that's in Graduate School, Alicia, had a appendectomy last night. I was at my parent's house yesterday morning when my sister called very upset. Alicia had been sick all night and went to the School Med Center Thursday morning. They gave her a shot of antibiotic and sent her to the E.R. at the hospital.

My sister, my mom and I took off for Statesboro. She was drinking barium when we arrived in preparation for a CT Scan. She had been given morphine and was pretty perky. Around 3:30, they came in with the diagnosis -acute appendicitis. The surgeon followed shortly after and explained that he'd try to remove it laperoscopically.

Next was the anesthesiologist, then they showed up with her pre-op meds and wheeled her into the O.R. The surgeon brought the appendix to us in the waiting room in a jar. It was huge. He said it was normally 3 cm big - hers was 8 cms. He told us that it was a "sick appendix" but they caught it in time, with no perforation or rupture.

She came home from the hospital this morning and is e-mailing all of her students who wrote complaining that they can't open the file with their homework in it.

We're glad she's okay and so close to home, but say a little prayer for her. She has no insurance and no income as a Grad Student and surgery isn't cheap. She was pretty stressed out about how she's going to pay the bill.

The day before I got the call, Deanna reminded me that it was about time to pay her a visit. I can check that off my list for another couple of weeks now. Wish is had been under a little better circumstances, but at least she's alright and healing well.

Sure wish I healed up that fast.

No comments: