Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Unexpected Freedom

Dane's home from school sick. He was complaining of his throat and stomach hurting yesterday morning before school. I assumed it was post-nasal drip from the temperature change and getting food on his belly would help. He never said anything else about feeling bad - until I picked him up from school.

Apparently, he told his teacher after lunch that he felt terrible. He had worsened and wanted to call me. She encouraged him to try and push through. If she knew Dane better, she would know that he's not a complainer and, if he told her he felt bad, he REALLY felt bad. But he was obedient and pushed through the rest of the day.

As we came in the house, he started to cry. I sent him in to lay down on my bed and got the thermometer. No fever. I got him in more comfortable clothes, worked on his homework with him, and made sure he had a throw-up bucket. Then I went to start dinner. I saw my father walking through the backyard and around to the front, so I hollered out the door to him that he needed to come in and pray over his grandson.

A few minutes later, Grandpa walked into the kitchen with Daelyn on his heels, announcing that Dane was throwing up. I found him on the couch in the den, feeling miserable.

He fell asleep on the couch later and got a good night's sleep, but he's still feeling puny. I had to call the Kindergarten teacher and tell her I wouldn't be able to be in today, which puts her in a very tight spot. I hoping everything will be alright.

In the meantime, it gives me an unexpected day to work on the house. The children have been picking pecans to sell and my father loaned me one of his "Pecans for Sale" sign and put it up in the front yard for me, so I need the get the ones the kids have picked bagged up for sale. That's first on the Agenda, then cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

The air is crisp and I've lit an apple pie scented candle. It dropped below freezing last night. It's invigorating and perfect temperatures to prepare for Christmas.

Dane's lying on the floor in the den watching the Mommy-edited version of "Walk the Line", the Johnny Cash story, and I'm attacking the dining room. Having a sick child is always hard, but having Daelyn home is much worse. At least Dane is my quiet one.

Unless he's throwing up, that is.

1 comment:

Ecce Quam Bonum said...

Hey Patti,
I just found your blog (mainly because I'm sick in bed today myself). It reads just like having a conversation with you, which I miss so much. Moving away from up the street was like moving to another continent; moving to the west side of town and having Kat go to a different school has been more like moving to Mars. Since you're not going to be calling me from England early in the morning after your annaul party, I'm anxious for this year's version?

Alicia, in grad school. Good grief. How can she be old enough for that?

Kit