Search This Blog

Friday, November 09, 2007

Snowmen from the Nether-parts

The weather has been much cooler this week. We've even had below freezing temps two mornings in a row. The backyard was covered in frost and Donovan refused to tinkle on the grass.

Don and I have a retreat this weekend and the children will be staying with our friend, Uncle Ken, tomorrow and his new son, Ryan (he married a woman with a young son in May). Before we left this evening for the opening of the retreat, I encouraged the children to lay out their clothes for tomorrow so the morning would be peaceful. Deanna came into the bathroom, where I was getting ready, and started to complain that she had no warm clothes.

"What happened to all the things we bought last year to take to England?" I asked.

"What things?" Deanna responded.

"I bought you a couple of pairs of sweats, honey - a burgundy pair and a blue pair. Where are they? Do they still fit you? You better go try them on and show me."

Grudgingly, Deanna went to her room. In a few minutes, she reappeared in the burgundy sweats. They were long enough and looked very warm and cuddly, perfect for a cool winter morning, but were a little voluminous. Deanna's at that age where she wants things to fit snugly. I knew I was in for a bit of a battle. They just weren't "cool". In an effort to convince her that this outfit would work nicely, I gushed just a little.

"That's great, honey. They still fit you. And they'll keep you nice and warm!"

"I can't wear these," Deanna yelled. "I look like the Abdominal Snowman!"

No comments: