Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fast Old Guy

After finishing his homework today, Daelyn ran over to Grandma and Grandpa's house. I was out picking pecans when Daelyn tracked me down.

"Mama, Grandpa needs you to take him to the drugstore."

"Okay," I responded. "It's almost time to pick up your brother and sister from school so we'll need to leave right now. We'll swing by the drugstore, then go to the school. Would you run over to his house and tell him?"

Several minutes passed and Daelyn didn't return. I made my way over to my parent's. My father was standing in the kitchen with the back door open.

"Papa," I called to him, "we need to go now if I'm going to run you by the drugstore."

He was on the phone with my nephew but paused in his conversation to tell me he'd be along momentarily. I started for home to drop off Donovan, who was pecan-picking with me, and my pecan picking paraphenalia. On my slow way home, Daelyn joined me.

"Where's Grandpa?" I asked him. It was taking him a very long time and, already, we had used up the extra time. I needed to leave to pick up the other kids.

"He's coming right behind me," Daelyn said, turning around and looking behind him. Then, a little nervously, "He'll be along any minute." Finally, as if to convince himself, "You know, he walks pretty fast for an old guy."

I choked on a laugh. Sure enough, by the time we reached our yard, Papa was coming up fast behind me. He headed straight for the van while I dropped things inside and grabbed the keys. When I reached the van, I repeated Daelyn's remark.

"He knows, Mama. I already told him."

1 comment: