Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2007

Rain . . . bow

I have a nephew who lives in Atlanta and another at UGA in Athens, GA. Over Thanksgiving, we talked about the drought and how badly Atlanta has been hit. I told them the little ditty my California sister taught me one summer while I was visiting: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

Both nephews said they've heard the same ditty coming out of the mouth of the Governor (of Georgia, not California, although Arnold's predecessor in CA was the originator of this little saying, I'm told). Apparently, things are PRETTY bad.

We discussed water conservation efforts. I suggested the Governor ban Deanna from showers. Then there'd be no drought at all. Her grown male cousins thought that was hilarious and kidded her mercilessly.

It's been raining of and on all day today - lovely, wet rain. We need it, but not near as badly as Atlanta needs it. This evening, before settling down to dinner, I noticed a break in the rain and took the pup out for a tinkle trip. The sky was amazingly light and had a strange glow. I was looking around, trying to catch a glimpse of the dipping sun in the West. When I didn't succeed, I turned to the East and saw the most amazing, full, clear rainbow, going from one point on the low horizon in a complete semi-circle, disappearing into the horizon at the opposite end of the earth. Just short of the glowing rainbow was a second shadowy bow, not clearly visible but definitely more than a hint.

I was struck by God's promise to mankind. A rainbow is so staggeringly beautiful all by itself but, add to that the significance, and it's unbeatable.

I hate that Atlanta's in a serious drought, but the rain and the ensuing rainbow were a blessing to behold.

God loves Deanna enough to make up for some of her showers, anyway.

No comments: